Caldera Spas: Twenty-minute Renewal - Sitting Well: Improve Posture with these Ten Healthy Habits
By Tara Rayburn | Caldera Spas: Twenty-minute Renewal :: January, 2013
"Is sitting making you sick? Seriously, think about how many positions you might find yourself in throughout your day that could lead you down a path of chronic neck pain, bulging disks, even digestive disorders. "
This story lists Nia as one of ten simple habits to improve posture.
10 Simple Habits to Improve Posture
- Begin and end your day with chest opening and upper back (rhomboid) stretching and strengthening exercises.
- Set a timer every half hour and take immediate note of your posture. Relax and reposition. Please, uncross those legs and perhaps move your computer higher up.
- Stop using the back of your chair. Sit up straight and engage your stomach and lower back muscles.
- Incorporate exercise like Qigong, Nia Technique or Pilates to experience more mindfulness in your body
- If you use handheld electronics vary the position where you hold the device so that your head isn’t always looking downward.
- If you sit a lot during the day or fly on airplanes, get up every hour. Your neighbor may get irked, but your health will benefit.
- Choose chairs without puffy headrests that push your head forward.
- Take a 10-20 minute walk halfway through your workday.
- Use doorways for chest, shoulder and back stretching exercises.
- Relax and celebrate at the end of your day in a spa with a candle and inspirational music. If you can, focus the jets on your rhomboid muscles.